Key changes and questions

Things change - what you need to know.

Key changes

All generators

There are new Generation AND Export tariff rates for non-PV FiT installations with an eligibility date on or after 1st December 2012.

On top of this, an annual degression mechanism has been put in place for all non-PV technologies. If you have any questions about these changes, please get in touch.

Hydro generators

Since 30th May 2011, all micro-hydro installations (those with a declared net capacity of 50kW or less) commissioned between 1st April 2010 and 1st April 2012 are now required to seek accreditation through the Ofgem ROO-FIT accreditation process. To apply for ROO-FIT accreditation, you will need to create an account for yourself on the Renewables and CHP Register.

Once you have created an account you will have to process your application online and you will have to notify us when you received your ROO-FIT number in order for us to process your application.

PV generators

PV tariff rates have been subject to 3 monthly degression since 1st August 2012.

If you have any questions whatsoever about selling electricity please don’t hesitate to contact us over the phone on 01920 483046 or by emailing fits@greenenergyuk.


  • How does it work?

  • Am I eligible for the Feed in Tariff (FiT)?

  • Do you install equipment?

  • How long am I tied to green energy uk?

  • Would I get involved with VAT?

  • How is the Feed in Tariff paid?

  • What if I’m off grid?

  • What if I don’t have an export meter?

  • What do I need to do?

  • As I will be generating my own electricity will I still get electricity bills?

  • Does my commercial installation over 50kW of installed capacity qualify?


  • Under the FiTs scheme you are guaranteed a minimum payment for all the electricity generated by your home generation system, even the electricity you use yourself. Any generation above and beyond the amount of electricity that your household uses can be exported to the national grid and a separate payment is given for this as well. These payments are in addition to the bill savings made by using the electricity generated on-site.

  • If you installed after 15th July 2009 - yes

    If you have installed prior to 15th July 2009 but have applied for accreditation under the RO (Renewable Obligation) - yes

    If you installed prior to 15th July and have not applied for accreditation under the RO - no you will not be eligible for payments.

    Since April 2010, all installations must be carried out by an MCS accredited installer to qualify for FiT payments.

  • No - green energy uk are purchasers of electricity. We can sometimes help you find an installer in your area but your best bet is to find an accredited installer on the MCS web site.

  • We have no fixed period for the supply and export of electricity. If you are moving out of an address with a FiT accredited installation installed there, please give us a call to let us know.

  • Not unless you are already a VAT registered business. If you are VAT registered, please make sure you fill in the appropriate section on the FiT application form.

  • We aim to pay our generators on a quarterly basis but we can only arrange for payment if we receive an up to date reading for your account for that quarter. The levelisation quarters close at the end of March, June, September and December. You may also be asked to submit a monthly meter read for statistical purposes.

  • You can still claim FiT payments by signing up with an electricity supplier.

  • Microgenerators can still receive export payments on an estimated or "deemed" basis. This will be a temporary measure until smart metering is finalised.

  • If you are planning to install some qualifying technology, the easiest thing to do is give us a call and we’ll tell you what we need from you! But here's a précis:

    1. Once your installation is completed you need to send us the completed application form and a copy of your MCS certificate. If more than five days have elapsed since your installation was completed you will need to take a generation meter read on the day you send your form back. We cannot back date payments to the start reading. We cannot begin the registration until we have received BOTH a completed FiT application form and a copy of your MCS Certificate, so please do not send us one without the other.
    2. For new PV installations from 1st April 2012, you will also have to complete and return the PV declarations form as part of your Feed in Tariff application.
    3. We will write to you with your registration number, tariff rate, period of payment and the terms and conditions of the scheme which you will need to sign and return.
    4. Once we have received your signed copy, we can complete the registration and start making payments. Under the legislation we can only start making payments from the date we receive your FiT application form so you'll need to take a generation meter read on the day you return the form to us.
  • Unfortunately yes! As there will be times when you won't be generating enough electricity for your own needs, you will still need to buy a certain amount of electricity and pay the standing charge which covers the cost of delivering the electricity to your home.

  • We are always interested in larger scale generators who are interested in selling their energy and are currently on the Renewable or CHP register at Ofgem.

    The accrediattaion and payment processes for large-scale generators can be quite complicated so if you have any questions about this process,, please give us a call

    For PV systems and wind turbines of over 50kW, you may be able to obtain preliminary accreditation before your installation is complete. The same may apply to all Hydro and AD installations of any size. If you have any questions regarding this please get in touch.