What to do in an emergency

If you smell gas, or have a gas emergency, please call 0800 111 999 straight away.

If you experience a power cut then dial 105.

Helpful Advice

Gas Emergency advice

  • DO NOT use naked flames
  • DO NOT smoke
  • DO NOT turn your light switches on and off
  • Turn off the gas control valve by the meter
  • Open doors and windows

Call 0800 111 999

Ongoing energy supply issues?

The supply of your gas and electricity falls under the responsibility of your regional supply network.

You can find the details for your network supplier in our Customer Promise.

Faulty gas appliance?

If one of your gas appliances is not functioning correctly, do not use it. Turn the appliance off and have it checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

For independent advice on gas safety, please visit:


Kitchen with Gas Cooker - Be Carbon Monoxide Aware

Be carbon monoxide aware

Carbon Monoxide is a highly poisonous gas which can be omitted by gas boilers, cookers open fires and wood burners. It is also colourless, odourless and tasteless.

It is essential that all appliances that are used for heating are located in a well-ventilated area, and we recommend you to buy a carbon monoxide tester. The NHS website has more information on the symptoms and what to do if you think you are affected.